Every Envirolyte water disinfecting system consists of:
• Envirolyte unit (one or more)
• containers for anolyte and NaCl solution
• dosing pump(s) with FAC or ORP controller
Anolyte produced by Envirolyte unit is collected in a container and then dosed into the incoming water (see above). The dosing regime depends on the water flow and quality (properties) of the source water and is controlled by either flow meter or FAC/ORP controller connected with dosing pump.
How is disinfecting achieved?
Aqueous solution of NaCl, electrochemically activated in Envirolyte unit, a powerful, non-toxic, non-hazardous disinfectant called anolyte is the main disinfecting agent in any EWDS.
Anolyte is a colourless transparent liquid with a slight chlorine smell. It contains various mixed oxidants predominantly hypochlorous acid which give Anolyte highly bactericidal and sporicidal activity.
Anolyte parameters are as follows:
• pH from 2.0 to 8.5
• concentration (general) of active chlorine 100- 6000mg/l
• very high oxidant activity with low (hundreds parts of percentage) concentrations of working substances that don't harm chemical and other vital characteristics of the treated water and don't form any toxic compounds.
Anolyte is approved for use as a disinfecting agent for drinking water making it safe for consumption without the unpleasant smell and taste associated with conventional chlorine based water treatment.
Offices & Public Buildings, Hotels, Schools & Leisure Centres
Legionella is a major health problem in facilities having large water systems where parts are not always in use, such as hotel rooms in low season. The unused areas can result in the build-up of Legionella or other health endangering bacteria within the water system. The addition of an anolyte generator to hot & cold water systems can prevent the need for costly cold & high temperature flushing.
Envirolyte Electrolyzed Water (EW, EOW or EO, also known as electrolyzed oxidizing water or ionized water solution) technology is the process of passing ordinary water or a diluted saline solution through a specially designed electrolytic cell in order to modify its functional properties without adding reagents. Envirolyte solutions (anolyte and catholyte) have the demonstrated ability to:
• destroy microorganisms such as Botrytis fungus, Salmonella, E.coli, Listeria and anthrax spores
• purify water
• clean and degrease
Envirolyte designs, markets, assembles and sells equipment that can produce two basic types of fluids:
1. Anolyte solutions are strong oxidizing solutions with a pH range of 2.5 – 8.5 and an Oxidation-Reduction Potential (ORP) of +600 to +1200mV. Anolyte can potentially be used as a broad spectrum germicidal agent to kill all types of microorganisms including viruses, fungi and bacteria.
2. Catholyte solutions are antioxidizing, mild alkaline solutions with a pH range of 10.5 to 12.0 and ORP of –600 to –900mV. Catholyte solutions can potentially be used as degreasers or detergents.
Based on extensive research, both anolyte and catholyte solutions:
• are environmentally friendly
• are non-toxic to both humans and animals
• do not require special handling
• are powerful biocides
• can be safely disposed of in sewage systems
• are fast-acting
• can be used at all stages of disinfection and cleaning
• at recommended concentrations, does not bleach surfaces or materials
• can be applied in liquid, ice or aerosol (fog) form
• are hypoallergenic
• yield by-products that are non-toxic, environmentally friendly and leave no synthetic chemical residue
• can be generated on-site, thus eliminating handling and storage of chemicals
• can be produced on-site from tap water and salt in required quantities and concentrations of active ingredients, pH and salinity (mineralisation)
Anolyte contains among other things Hypochlorous Acid that is a highly potent bactericide. Bacteria such as Escherichia coli when exposed to Hypochlorous Acid lose viability in less than 100ms. Escherichia coli is a major cause of food and water-borne infections in humans.
In addition to killing bacteria anolyte is effective in breaking down Biofilms which protect the bacteria from the action of the Hypochlorous acid.
As a hard-surface disinfectant anolyte application on a daily basis for more than a decade has demonstrated that microorganisms do not develop immunity to anolyte over time. This makes it possible to apply Envirolyte equipment in a number of areas directly related to personal health and safety.
• Due to very low concentration of active chlorine, Anolyte diluted in the water does not result in any toxicity effects neither forms any toxic by-products
• Anolyte penetrates tiny pores of the water pipes or any other material
• Anolyte eliminates biofilm and algae from the distribution system
• Water pipes and equipment don't have to be rinsed with water after disinfecting
• Anolyte doesn't harm the original, natural properties of the water
• Anolyte eliminates chlorine taste and odour, improves taste and odour from algae
• Anolyte can be stored and kept for further use when the necessity arises
• Easy dosing
• High level of safety: no hazardous chemicals produced or used
Why Envirolyte water disinfection technology is better than traditional chlorination?
• although seemingly analogous to chlorine, anolyte is unique and clearly superior to sodium hypochlorite in the destruction of spores, bacteria, viruses and other pathogen organisms on an equal residual base. Sodium hypochlorite in concentration of 5% is effective only in disinfection, but not sterilization. Sodium hypochlorite is not effective against cysts (Guardia, Cryptosporidium)
• most of the pathogens, particularly water born, develop resistance to Sodium hypochlorite over time. Anolyte application, as water disinfectant on a daily basis for more than ten years, demonstrated that microorganisms do not develop resistance against anolyte over time
• the required contact time for anolyte is lower
• sodium hypochlorite loses its activity during long-term storage and poses potential danger of gaseous chlorine emission during storage
• anolyte is better soluble
• the bactericidal efficiency remains in pH values between 4 and 9
• anolyte is minimally corrosive primarily due to it’s low concentrations and, also due to the elimination of the caustic element normally found in sodium and calcium hypochlorite
• the reaction of anolyte and organic materials produces about half of the trihalomethanes as does chlorine
• anolyte eliminates existing scale and pathogens harbored in scale and blocks dissolved solids in supplied water from forming new scale. Biofilm is eliminated. Sections of a building are not required to be closed to normal use during treatment.
Please contact us for more information.